If you are a visitor to Singapore this is a MUST visit even if you don’t have too much interest in animals. You will find the trip worthwhile for your whole family who will definitely enjoy the scenic and natural habitats for many different kinds of animals. Even for many Singaporean, this is a definite repeated place of visit years after years as there are so much to be offered and children are nagging to come back from time to time. For travelers without family, Singapore Zoo is also top of their agenda when visiting Singapore.
Why this is the top attractions for many visitors, Singaporeans and Permanent Residents? Why this Zoo had won so many International awards and is easily one of the best Zoo in the world?
For many visitors who are used to going to zoos where the animals are kept 50ft away from you, this will be a amazing experience. The Singapore Zoo is set at a 28 hectares rainforest environment. There are so many interesting things to do here but I will just highlight some, the rest you will experience for yourselves.
First, you can start your wonderful day by taking Breakfast with the Orang Utans! YES, you are able to eat a buffet breakfast about ten feet away from these friendly Orang Utans and take a closeup picture with them afterward. Not an usual experience you will get from your daily life or visiting any other zoo. Your kids will be thrilled.
One of children’s and my favourite is the Fragile Forest. It illustrate the ability of the Zoo in its uniqueness and capability to recreate the experience of entering a WILD REAL rain forest. You will be able to actually have many close encounter and “close-shave” with many species of animals and insects.
The animal feeding time and the animal performance are also something you and your kids should not miss. When you enter the Zoo, you will be given a copy of the Zoo map including all the feeding times and animal performance time. Choose any that suit your needs and curiosity. The friendly and knowledgeable Zoo-keepers will keep you well entertained and educated.
The latest attraction to the Zoo is the Boat Safari ride. There are 2 boat dock and the ride take approximately 20mins. Tickets can be purchased at the dock. You will be able to traverse the pristine waters of the Upper Seletar Reservoirs. The Boat Guides will share information about water and wildlife conseration. At the same time,look out for monitor lizards, stork-billed kingfishers or the white-bellied Sea Eagle as the boat glides through the water. Enjoy the serene atmosphere and the cooling breeze.
There is a separate zoo for kids and several opportunities for them to get rides on animals as well. Your kids can get real close to these animals and watch a animal show there too.
Other highlights included the The Begal White Tigers, Reptile House, Cat Country, Wild Africa, Polar Bear, Elephants and numerous rare animals.
There are food kiosks along the path, restuarants and also KFC and Pizzafari for some munch and resting your tiring feets. For the family, you could visit the Children Playground to have a KFC lunch and watch your children having a splashing good time at the Water Play area.
Singapore Zoo had around 315 different animal species and around 16% are threatened species. After visiting it yourselves, you will understand why Singapore Zoo is the top attractions that offers you the opportunity to experience and be inspired by the wonders of animal kingdom which is hardly found in other zoo.
- Get the tram ticket to go around the zoo which save some time and save some energy for your children. Having said that, this place is best traveled by foot if you have time as you get to see more along the way.
- Take photos with tame animals (such as Orang Utans and Python) to keep as memory and souvenirs.
- Visit the Children zoo and playground which your kids will love it.
- Be prepared. Bring umbrella (for rain and sun), insect repellant and camera.
- Rent a scroller and wagons for your little kids at the ticket counter.
- For Singaporean and PR, if your family is really keen to come back more than once a year, it is best to sign up the “Friends of the Zoo” membership which allow free entry to the Zoo, Free parking, Free tram rides and other discounts.
- Before leaving, visit the interesting souvenirs shop to get something for your loved ones.
* Last admission at 5.30pm
* Each tram ticket allows unlimited rides within the park.
Boat Ride: Adults SGD$5.00, Children: SGD$2.50
Check also price for zoo-per Saver which include all the above at SGD$25 (Adult) and SGD$12.50 (child).
If you intent to visit 2 or 3 of the attractions (Singapore Zoo, Night Safari and Jurong Bird Park), do not miss the bundle Park Hoppers Specials. Check with the ticket counter or the online booking for more.
2. Follow the timetable for animal feedings and animal show times.
3. Jungle Breakfast 9am-10.30am.
4. Animals rides
5. Join a Wild Discoverer Tour for a personalised tour to immerse yourself in the secrets of how the Singapore Zoo cares for its magnificent inhabitants.
- Alight at Ang Mo Kio station (NS 16) and take bus service 138.
- Alight at Choa Chu Kang station (NS4/BP1) and take bus service 927.
- Alight at Woodlands station (NS9) or Marsiling station (NS8) and take bus service 926 (only on Sundays and Public Holidays).
- From Changi Airport station (CG2), board the train and alight at Tanah Merah Interchage station (EW4), swith to west-bound train to Jurong East interchage station (BP1/NS4). Switch again to north-bound train to Choa Chu Kang Interchage station (BP1/SN4) and take bus service 927.
- From City, take 171 to Mandai Road then alight at the first bus stop (ask the driver) and tranfer to bus service 927.
- From Ang Mo Kio MRT, take bus service 138.
- From Choa Chu Kang MRT, take bus service 927.
There is a big carpark in front of the main gate.
Parking charges are per entry and no grace period.
Parking charges: Car: SGD$3.90.