National Day Parade 2010
In 1966, we have our first Singapore National Day, one year after Singapore’s independence from Malaysia. This year, we will celebrate our 45th birthday of Singapore with the theme of “Live Our Dreams, Fly Our Flag”.
The most important event of the National Day is none other than the National Day Parade (NDP) which is Singapore’s biggest annual outdoor parade. This year NDP promises to be a theatrical extravaganza with slogan drawing its inspiration from the Singapore flag of “Red, White and Wow!”
Every 5 years, the NDP will be held in the Padang which is the traditional and historical place where the event is held. Almost all the National or Independence Day of any country is a display to the people of its own country and the world of its military might, social stability, country unity and prosperity. Singapore National Day is of little difference, showing its military and the aerial fly-past. This year, a total of 30 contingents will take part in the Parade & Ceremony segment of the NDP.
A main difference from previous year is the Mobile Column that we will see fleets of armored vehicles such as tanks and other military vehicles rolling down the public roads and even into roads of housing estates. The mobile column is made up of 210 vehicles forming a 2km long parade. It takes them a full 15 min to drive by at 10km/h. People will have a chance to see the NDP who do not have a chance to be in the Padang and more General Public could be involved in the fun. In addition to the 26,500 spectators at the Padang, another 29,000 will be able to join in the celebrations from five locations dotting the island on 9 Aug. The Mobile Column will parade along three different routes (North-Eastern, Northern and Western routes). They will travel through various townships, arriving at the five Heartland celebration locations of Sengkang, Eunos, Bishan, Woodlands and Choa Chu Kang. Places to watch them passing by are:
- Marina Bay
- Orchard Road
- Bukit Batok
- Choa Chu Kang
- Sims Avenue
- Little India
- Ang Mo Kio
The Ariel Display is always one of the highlight of the NDP and the atmosphere will heighten with planes roaring fast above the viewers. For the first time in NDP, Singaporeans can expect an exciting addition to the Presidential Salute as three F-15SG and five F-16 fighter aircraft take to the skies in a magnificent salute to the nation. The F-15s will execute a fan-out maneuver with afterburners, followed by the F-16s performing a bomb burst with smoke trails.
One Voice 2010
Another highlight – “One Voice 2010″ where thousands of Singaporeans came together to recite the national pledge. “One Voice 2010” will take place at exactly 8.10pm. Another important element of this year’s parade are the motivators. Some 600 of them from Touch Community Services will be on hand to cheer on the crowd and rally the performers.
The NDP’s Time-Table
From 5.00pm, we have the Pre-parade Segment comprising
- 2-way telecast with heartlands
- Red Lions jump
At about 6.00pm to 7.15pm, the Parade Segment comprising
- Parade & Ceremony
- state flag fly past
- Presidential Guns Salute
- Aerial Flypast
- Mobile Column
Around 7.15pm onwards, the Show Segment comprising
- ACT 1: Red & White!
- ACT 2: Five Stars!
- ACT 3: Crescent Moon
- ACT 4: Our Flag!
- One voice 2010
- Fireworks (see the best places to see the Fireworks)
1. Bring along your binoculars, hats, full-charged camera to view the NDP.
2. Wear Red and White to support the NDP.
3. If you fail to get the NDP tickets and you intend to be around Marina Bay, you may still watch the march-past at these locations:
- Marina Bay Sands
- The Esplanade
- One Fullerton
- Collyer Quay
- Central Promontory
4. View on the Web if you could not see it live on TV or person. Use Webcast.
5. Discount Coupons! To celebrate our nation’s 45th birthday, there are host of promotions and discounts from many participating merchants just for you! From $4.50 supermarket offers to $45 pampering spa treatments; discounts on mouthwatering food to savings on enrichment packages – you’ll find these and more! Download the Discount eCoupon now!
6. See the real-time updates on your mobile Phones. Your personal guide to all NDP events. Access to NDP news anytime, anywhere and having a 360 degree view of NDP landmarks, facilities and parade activities. Download the apps – ‘NDP on the Go’ for Android and iPhone users.
See also the 14 Best Place Places to Watch the Fireworks!